Suggested reading: Hebrews chapter 1 verses 1-4
Last week we shared three meditations on the lessons we can learn from the LAST WORDS spoken by various individuals. This week we will consider three further examples.
There can, of course, be no more important LAST WORDS then those spoken by God Himself: ‘God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, has in these LAST DAYS SPOKEN TO US BY HIS SON’, Hebrews chapter 1 verses 1-2. The first chapter of this Book starts with five statements about the Old Testament prophets:
- God spoke through them – He was in them, when they spoke; indeed, their words were His words – they were God-inspired.
- God spoke through them at different times, i.e., in different portions – He did not reveal all His truth to one prophet at one time – succeeding prophets built on the words of previous prophets and prepared the way for further revelation. – from Moses to Malachi (1000 years) divine truth was revealed through them!
- God spoke through them in different ways – two tablets of stone; burning bush; dreams & visions etc.
- God spoke through them in past times until John the Baptist, the last of the Old Testament prophets, Matthew chapter 11 verse 13.
- God spoke through the prophets to the fathers (the entire nation of Israel)
The wonderful truth is the Bible is that God has FINALLY SPOKEN EVRYTHING He wants to say through ONE MAN, who is God; therefore, there is nothing more for Him to say! The prophets spoke the Word of God BUT Christ (God’s Son) is the Word of God:
- He is the heir;
- He made the ages (time);
- He has divine glory – He is the radiant splendor of God’s glory;
- He is the image of God;
- He supports and controls the universe;
- He is the Redeemer;
- He is seated in Heaven.
Jesus Christ is, indeed, God’s LAST WORD to mankind in these LAST DAYS!
Are you listening?