Ever since sin invaded the world there have been scoffers, who take every opportunity to belittle the promises of God’s Word. One of the promises Jesus made was that, following His return to heaven, He would come again. Peter, a disciple, heard this promise. He later wrote about the scoffers who ridiculed it. They said, ‘Where is the promise of His coming. For since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of creation’, 2 Peter chapter 3 verse 4. Such mockers still abound today. They think they are displaying their wisdom; however, they are showing their ignorance.
Peter highlights five things mockers are ignorant of:
- the world that existed in Noah’s day – the mockers thought they were in control; therefore, they ignored God’s warnings – BUT He brought in the flood upon the world and all flesh perished, including the mockers, 2 Peter chapter 3 verses 5-6.
- the heavens and the earth which are now – God is currently restraining the elements that could destroy them BUT ultimately He will destroy them by fire – there will be a great noise and fervent heat – unbelieving evolutionists believe the universe began with a ‘big bang’ but the truth is that it will end with a big bang, 2 Peter chapter 3 verse 7.
- God is ETERNAL – one day with Him is as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day, 2 Peter chapter 3 verse 8 – He is not limited by time.
- God is longsuffering (patient) but this does not imply He is slack concerning His promises, 2 Peter chapter 3 verse 9.
- God’s Plan – His plan is for ‘new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells’, 2 Peter chapter 3 verse 13.
BEWARE THE SCOFFERS – TRUST GOD’S WORD!
Please contact us and we will gladly send you a Bible wherever you are. We will pray for you. Come back again for another Message of Hope.